"A fantastic lawyer who knows his stuff, Michael has been our family lawyer for almost 20 years now and I cannot recommend him enough."
Michael qualified as a Solicitor in 1978 and has since practiced in Essex and North London.
Adults live in a complex world. We are all responsible for decisions about our own property, and most legal work supports and enhances our own responsibility. Michael is Head of the Rainer Hughes private client department which deals with those occasions when someone else is entrusted with sharing responsibility for property and welfare. Those who share responsibility might be trustees, attorneys or Court of Protection Deputies, and after death, executors or administrators of our estate.
Rainer Hughes Private Client Department fully understands why the concept of sharing responsibility is so important and why the highest standards are required of those to whom responsibility is entrusted.
During his 43 years in practice, Michael has encountered and successfully dealt with almost every type of legal problem. Described by Judges, fellow-professionals and clients as “knowledgeable” “highly intelligent” “experienced” “a winner” and “exceptionally kind,” the “Silver Fox” is sought after by clients needing expert legal assistance and feared by opponents.
Michael is a Legal 500 ranked solicitor. He leads a hardworking and precise team of colleagues in the Private Client Department.
Clients consistently score him 10 out of 10 in our feedback. Ms A said, “Michael responded in a helpful and sympathetic manner as I had spent Christmas worrying.” “In Michael, I have someone I can trust because he takes such good care of all of my affairs” – Mrs P. “In a very difficult situation Michael was absolutely splendid” – Mr C. Other clients have commented on his meticulous preparation, shrewd tactics and thorough command of the law. He gives clear practical advice, restores client’s confidence, allays fears and calms troublesome situations in business and personal lives. Michael has been described as “an exceptional all-round talent”.
Michael is praised for his straight talking, user-friendly style which makes him “great to work with”. He is highly regarded for bringing real intellectual rigour to bear in quickly identifying the central issues of a case, no matter how complex. Michael has a remarkable ability to take the stress out of the most difficult of situations whilst remaining clear-headed and focused.
Michael has been a court appointed executor, Attorney and Court of Protection Deputy and has considerable experience in contested Chancery applications, especially under The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. Amongst his proudest achievements with the firm are the number of Wills made due to our participation in the national Will Aid campaign every November when upwards of 110 separate Wills are made. Under Michael’s direction we have consistently been within the top 10 contributors to Will Aid in the whole London and South East area.
During the last year, Michael’s cases have included:
- Acting for executors in probate applications and applications for letters of administration by persons interested in an intestate’s estate. Many probate matters are undertaken on our fixed fee. We are completely up to date with recent developments with electronic information gathering with regard to an estate, and application to the Probate Registry, statements of account and costing schedules are supplied on a regular basis to ensure clarity for personal representatives and beneficiaries.
- The private client team continue to make Wills for a large variety of clients and have adapted to include remote signing and witnessing of Wills using zoom.
- Clients have also approached the probate team to make Lasting Powers of Attorney of which the major development has been the electronic registration of the power of attorney document to save the considerable expense and time involved of registering with banks and investment houses for property and affairs attorney, as well as hospitals, doctors’ surgeries and the NHS for health and care decisions powers of attorney.
- Several applications have been made to the Court of Protection on behalf of clients for deputyship orders.
- Michael has also acted for clients either bringing or defending applications relating to a deceased’s estate again using the electronic HMCTS portal.
- Michael has assisted clients in connection with Inheritance Tax disputes at HMRC and advising in connection with the correct distribution of estates between beneficiaries.
hobbies & Interests
When not working in the Shenfield office or working from home (a successfully introduced innovation for the past year) Michael enjoys playing his trombone, including remotely over zoom as well as singing with a remote choir.
Mr. Casson handled my estate will with at most care and perfection. A very sincere and top-notch solicitor.
Michael handled both wills and probate work and I must say him and his team are very efficient and are very friendly. Highly recommended.
A fantastic lawyer who knows his stuff, Michael has been our family lawyer for almost 20 years now and I cannot recommend him enough.